Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring Break!

Education professors and my student teaching mentors told me that students brains are generally useless the week before a break...well at least I now know they aren't liars.  My students weren't bad, but they were as fidgety as a 4 year old with chicken pox.  I managed to teach actual lessons monday-thursday, and then on friday we combined the beginner classes and played band ball all day (Band ball is just some game that the other band director made up and I'm pretty sure the rules change every 5 seconds...).  It really only takes 1 person to run band ball, so I reorganized and put away all the solo and ensemble music off to the side so I could still keep an eye on my woodwinds.  It was funny to watch how they responded when the other band director said the same things I say to them every day.  They were sad to discover I wasn't lying about having to play in time with the metronome.

I just returned today from visiting friends in Oklahoma for a couple days.  It was interesting to sit around with the same people I went to college with and instead of discussing ways to get away with stuff in various music courses, we were talking about our own classrooms.  2 of us are teaching and 1 is student teaching and it was kind of comforting to realize that we all have similar issues when it comes to classroom management.  Along with sharing our frustrations, we shared ways we have dealt with these problems.  Some of my students may be in for a surprise monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment