Sunday, February 19, 2012

I thought Spring was the easy semester...

1st semester: check.  We're well into the 2nd semester...and I feel it will be crazier than the 1st!  I'm really proud of how far the junior high concert band has come.  We still have some behavior issues, but they're with a small handful of students that since most of the class is under control, we can work to smack that out of them.  I'm really excited to take these guys to contest in April.

High school...is slowly turning around.  Opposed to the junior high classes which I picked up in August, these guys I didn't really start working with by myself until December, so we're still in the figuring out my expectations stage.  A couple weeks ago they were so bad that I set up the band room like study hall and we wrote the band expectations for the entire hour.  2 days in a row.  They HATED me when they came in that second day, but now I just remind them that I will make them rewrite the band expectations if I'm not convinced that they know what they are, and they get quiet pretty fast.  Sometimes, I even enjoy being in that class :)

Next Saturday, I'm taking the color guard to contest.  We've been working since January and it's been a struggle.  This week was the first time I had a practice with 100% attendance.  I also lost half the guard gradually through the semester, which meant I was writing a new show every week for a while.  But now they all know the show and I think we'll have a lot of fun at the contest.

On top of all the work at school...I'm now engaged!  I am very, very, very excited, but I am now also very, very, very busy!  It's awesome that my mom is back in Houston until the wedding, because there is no way we could get married this summer if she wasn't here!

No comments:

Post a Comment