Friday, February 18, 2011

Setting the pace

I survived my first full week as a band director!  Well, we have a contest tomorrow, so I guess this week isn't over yet.  My students are getting used to me, so I'm starting to be able to relax a little more in my classes and not be all angry and stern all the time.  I have 3 beginner woodwind classes that I teach every day.  2 of those classes quickly figured out that I am their teacher for the rest of the year and I won't let them get away with being insane.  1 of them however, hasn't passed the insane stage yet.  Since I don't want this class to get far behind, or cause me to have an aneurysm, I figured drastic measures needed to be taken.  I teach my classes in a side classroom, but both of the beginner classes meet together then split up.  One day this week, I told my students they would be lining up quietly before they came in my room.  Then when I brought them in the room, I had the room totally cleaned except for exactly 11 chairs and 11 stands, all at least 4 feet apart from each other.  How I wish I could have taken a picture of their faces as I placed them in their new seating arrangement.  It was priceless.  And let me tell you, since the day I did that, I have had little trouble with them talking out of turn or generally not paying attention.  They still sit in that arrangement, and probably will for a few more days, and then I'll go back to something more familiar, but will have this memory for them as a reminder of what will happen if things get out of control again.

While I'm working really hard to be firm and consistent with my students, I was really excited today when a student offered me some candy.  The creatures are inviting me into their club!  I also got my official box in the front office.  I can hardly wait for my first faculty meeting announcement to groan over :)

No comments:

Post a Comment